Friday, April 25, 2008

I've had to fly coast-to-coast twice this month so far for work, and am glad I woke up this morning at home.

I meant to trim my position in MSFT yesterday before its quarterly announcement, but I wasn't able to do so due to travel. MSFT missed but I was able to close my position today with a small profit. The YHOO saga is not over yet, but I'd like to switch to another name before it announces on Apr 30, following Cramer's advice. That name is OI (Owens Illinois).

CVTX received another piece of good news this week. The European Medicines Agency has recommended approval of CVTX' Latixa, and the EU is now expected to endorse this approval in the next couple of months. CVTX is now above my cost basis, but I expect it to double within the next 8 to 12 months. Of course, if it gets acquired, the doubling will happen much sooner.

Ford had a positive surprise for the quarter and my preferred stock (F-S on Google finance) is up a nice 15% now from my cost basis. And this does not count the ~11% annual dividend it pays (relative to my cost basis). Now I regret not having bought more. But I viewed it as a very speculative play, and it's not a bad idea to be prudent.

I noticed that my portfolio has turned positive for the year today (2.5%), which is good. The S&P and Nasdaq are still both negative. I however expect some profit taking next week and therefore a minor pull back. I may set up some short positions accordingly over the weekend.

I will have to fly to the East Coast again in early May for Sapphire in Orlando, but until then I expect to be able to stay put at home, working on a few proposals and accounts.

No comments: